Saturday, August 8, 2009

Waking up in a cold sweat and other things I've been doing

I haven't been around the blog too much lately because...
about a month before school starts, your child's new teacher starts having nightmares. They dream about:

Finding out on the first day of class that they are teaching the wrong grade and have prepared all summer just to have to go home that first night and prepare everything all over again.

Getting to school on that first day and their classroom has been moved, sometimes to "unteachable" areas like the hallway.

They forget to go to school on the first day.

They find out on that first day that instead of teaching children, they are teaching a class full of parents.


Go ahead and ask any teacher you know and they will verify this. When you take your kid to back-to-school night, your student may be nervous, but their teacher is probably just as nervous.

~~~~~~~

I was pretty good about not spending time at school until after the fourth of July but I've been over there for a few hours a day during the week since then. It is hard to think about other things when you are preparing for the new school year. I think next year will be a lot easier BUT because I was pregnant, then gone for four weeks after Abby was born and then trying to catch up the rest of the year, I had a hard time staying organized. Last year was also my first year teaching third grade and I was given a ton of stuff from a retiring teacher. I sifted through it and kept a lot that I wasn't sure about. Now I know what I need to keep around which is nice.

~~~~~~~

I have been really enjoying my time with Abby this summer. I don't know how stay-at-home moms get anything done! I just wanna hang out with Abby when she is awake and when she sleeps, I take my fair share of naps.

~~~~~~~

Abby took swimming lessons earlier this summer and loved them.

Here she is in her cutie swimming suit. I love the little flower. She couldn't care less.

Here she is kicking. The 18 year-old instructor would tell us things like, "Have her blow bubbles" or "Have her kick on her tummy," and I would smile and say "okay" while thinking, "She only knows how to eat, sleep and poop and you want me to have her do what?" Abby's Aunt Jennifer taught her to "go crazy" which is kicking her legs and arms like crazy. I realized that if I told Abby to "go crazy," she would kick her legs. Awesome.

Here is Abby laying on her back. There is a basketball hoop over Fluke's head that Abby would stare at for a long time. I love how all of her limbs are reaching up.

This was posted at the pool and it always caught my attention. It strikes me as being a bit of a retro image.

Here is Abby and Dad all wrapped up in her towel. Snuggly.

She loved swimming lessons and being in the water but we haven't been back to the pool for about a month. Hopefully we'll make it back once more before the pool closes.

3 comments:

Laura said...

In my dream, I was teaching high schoolers who were all taller than me. In another one, I was late for school and found my entire class having an iceball fight in the parking lot. I also tried to teach my new class how to be ready by the time I was done counting down from 10 and they all just screamed in panic...maybe I should just post all my dreams, too...

Amy B said...

I am so glad I dont have those dreams anymore- three years was plenty!

Sarah said...

I just drove by Megan and Jackson's school today and saw the parking lot full of teachers cars preparing for the new year.